Public Health Alert on Cholera Prevention
What is Cholera?
- Cholera is a bacterial infection caused by consuming contaminated food or water or by touching infected living or non-living objects from which they can enter human guts
- Cholera causes severe diarrhoea (passage of watery stool) and dehydration (loss of water and salts from the body). If cholera is left untreated, it can kill within hours.
- Cholera affects both children and adults
How is Cholera Spread?
- Cholera is spread when a person ingests food/water contaminated with the stool (faeces) of an infected person or from not washing your hands properly
- Cholera is common in areas with poor sanitation
- Cholera is NOT likely to spread directly from one person to another
What are the symptoms of cholera?
Symptoms of cholera may include:
- Severe watery diarrhoea
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach & muscle cramps
- Restlessness or irritability
What to do to protect yourself and your family from getting infected with cholera/diarrhoeal diseases:
- Drink and use safe water
- Wash your hands regularly with soap under running water. If no soap is available, scrub hands often with ash or sand and rinse with safe water or use hand sanitizer.
- Hand washing with soap is effective in preventing diarrhoea diseases
- Use latrines and do not defecate in the open or any body of water.
- Cook food well, eat it hot, keep it covered, and wash or peel fruits and vegetables.
- Keep the house and surroundings very clean – where the family bathes and washes clothes
Treatment for cholera
Cholera is an easily treatable disease. The following action should be taken when you experience the symptoms of cholera:
- Reach for oral rehydration solution (ORS) and start taking it immediately
- Report immediately to the nearest health facility
- Continue to breastfeed your baby if they have diarrhoea even when travelling to get treatment
Vacancies for Project Staff; Centre for Business DevelopmentRead More
Appointment of Head of Security ServicesRead More
Appointment of University Relations OfficerRead More
Sale of Application Forms for Undergraduate Top-Up Programmes, IDLRead More
Appointment of Director, Institute of Educational Studies, KNUSTRead More
International Accelerated Degree Program (IADP 3+1+1) Scholarships at Arizona State University (ASU-USA)Read More
Admission of Candidates to BSc. and Diploma Top-Up Programmes in Nursing, Midwifery, Emergency Nursing and Community Health Nursing for the 2019/2020 Academic YearRead More
Call for Applications for S.T. Nankani Scholarships for 2018/2019 Academic YearRead More
Bioinformatics Workshop on ENSEMBLRead More
Notification of Election of Pro Vice-ChancellorRead More