Public Health Alert on Cholera Prevention
What is Cholera?
- Cholera is a bacterial infection caused by consuming contaminated food or water or by touching infected living or non-living objects from which they can enter human guts
- Cholera causes severe diarrhoea (passage of watery stool) and dehydration (loss of water and salts from the body). If cholera is left untreated, it can kill within hours.
- Cholera affects both children and adults
How is Cholera Spread?
- Cholera is spread when a person ingests food/water contaminated with the stool (faeces) of an infected person or from not washing your hands properly
- Cholera is common in areas with poor sanitation
- Cholera is NOT likely to spread directly from one person to another
What are the symptoms of cholera?
Symptoms of cholera may include:
- Severe watery diarrhoea
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach & muscle cramps
- Restlessness or irritability
What to do to protect yourself and your family from getting infected with cholera/diarrhoeal diseases:
- Drink and use safe water
- Wash your hands regularly with soap under running water. If no soap is available, scrub hands often with ash or sand and rinse with safe water or use hand sanitizer.
- Hand washing with soap is effective in preventing diarrhoea diseases
- Use latrines and do not defecate in the open or any body of water.
- Cook food well, eat it hot, keep it covered, and wash or peel fruits and vegetables.
- Keep the house and surroundings very clean – where the family bathes and washes clothes
Treatment for cholera
Cholera is an easily treatable disease. The following action should be taken when you experience the symptoms of cholera:
- Reach for oral rehydration solution (ORS) and start taking it immediately
- Report immediately to the nearest health facility
- Continue to breastfeed your baby if they have diarrhoea even when travelling to get treatment
Call for Applications for Edu Fondazione Scholarship for 2018/2019 Academic YearRead More
Call for Applications, Educational Pathways International Scholarships for 2018/2019 Academic YearRead More
Call for Proposal African Researchers’ Small Grants Program (SGP II)Read More
Admission of Candidates Into Msc. Geophysical EngineeringRead More
2018 / 2019 Academic CalendarRead More
2018 GEAAA Dr. Osei Kwabena Gyebi Scholarship FundRead More
2018 GEAAA Prof. Nicholas Kumapley Scholarship FundRead More
Advertisement of Expression of Interest to Manage KNUST’s Institute of Distance Learning Hospitality Facility- Moree Campus, Cape Coast, Central RegionRead More
Admission of Candidates to the Master of Science in Corporate Governance and Strategic Leadership, And Air Transport and Aviation Management for the 2018/2019 Academic YearRead More
Admission of Candidates to Short Course in Certified Professional Ethical Hacking - Cyber Attacker and DefenderRead More