Call for Applications for Full Scholarship; PhD Programme in Climate Change and Land Use 2021 Admissions
West African Science Service Centre on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use (WASCAL CCLU)
With funding from the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
The WASCAL Doctoral Research Programme in Climate Change and Land Use (DRP-CCLU) is pleased to announce fully funded (tuition, stipend, research and travel grants) scholarships available for applicants from its eleven (11) West African member countries to study for PhD in Climate Change and Land Use at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Kumasi, Ghana.
WASCAL is a wholly West African international organization with focus on academic and transdisciplinary research, building graduate-level scientific capacity and serving policy makers in West Africa with science-based advice on adaptation to climate change impacts and land use management. It cooperates with several agencies and universities in the region and across the globe, providing a knowledge platform of excellence for its partners. WASCAL is funded by BMBF, multilateral and bilateral partners and its 11 West African member countries, namely: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, The Gambia, and Togo.
WASCAL’s mission is to provide information and knowledge services at the local, national and regional levels to West African member countries to cope with the adverse impacts of climate change. This is done through capacity building support to young West African scholars in fields of climate, natural and social sciences and by delivering climate and environmental services in member countries.
The WASCAL Doctoral Research Programme (DRP) is one of twelve (12) Climate Change Centres in West Africa. The programme aims to provide state-of-the-art training for scientists and professionals in Climate Change and Land Use. The programme is multidisciplinary. Participants will acquire knowledge on climate change and its implications on land use for the West African region, and the policy and management practices that may be put in place to mitigate and adapt to the impacts.
The DRP through the School of Graduate Studies, KNUST is pleased to announce availability of scholarships. All applicants are encouraged to indicate on the fee-paying forms their willingness or otherwise to be enrolled as self-financing students with alternative means of sponsorship in case they do not qualify for scholarship.
Scholarship-holding PhD fellows will receive a monthly stipend to cover accommodation and other expenses for the duration of the programme. Approved travel costs, costs for fieldwork, etc., will be reimbursed. The disbursement of scholarship funds will be connected to the successful delivery of research work deliverables to be agreed upon between the programme Director, the Supervisor, and the PhD fellow at the onset of the research work.
Field research will be sponsored after a successful course work and defence of a PhD proposal. The PhD fellow can travel to Germany once during the PhD fellowship period to participate in PhD level courses and joint supervision, if their conditions allow. The trip will be 3 – 6 months in duration. Airfare will be paid for by WASCAL and a monthly stipend to cater for lodging and personal expenses in Germany.
In conformity with the entry requirement of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, the successful candidate will have a minimum of:
- Second Class (Upper Division) in their First degree and a good Master’s degree in Soil Science, Agricultural Engineering (Soil and Water Engineering option), Civil Engineering (Water Resources/Hydrology option), Geomatic Engineering, Natural Resources (Silviculture and Forestry, and Watershed management), Mathematics, Geography, Land Economy, Atmospheric Physics, Climatology, and other relevant disciplines, with an average of at least 60 %. Submit academic transcripts as evidence.
- English Proficiency as indicated below:
- Must have first or second degree with English language as the medium of instruction, OR
- Must have an internationally recognised Certificate of Proficiency in the English Language (TOEFL or IELTS) with above average score.
- Otherwise, the candidate will have to undertake a three-month pre-master’s intensive English course at University of Cape Coast.
- Full time availability for a period of forty-two months.
- Demonstrate adequate intellectual capacity, maturity and effective decision making and problem-solving potentials.
- Experience with modelling and GIS would be an advantage but not a prerequisite.
- Must be able to travel to Germany for a period of 3 - 6 months
Application Procedure and Contact:
Candidates may apply directly to the DRP CCLU by submitting all information requested via email to the Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 30, 2021. For further information, you may call or WhatsApp on +233502662467 during office hours (08:00hrs to 17:00hrs GMT)
Completing Application Form
- Access the KNUST application form via the following:
- Carefully read the IMPORTANT NOTES on the Application Form
- Complete application form and upload a recent passport-size picture per the photo requirement of the application
- Submit the signed application form and other information to email addresses above.
KNUST in collaboration with the WASCAL CCLU Board will short list candidates. There will be a selection interview in/or near Kumasi or via telephone. The date of the interview will be communicated after shortlisting. The selection interview is mandatory to support the final selection of candidates. Successful candidates will then submit original hardcopy of the application package.
Application Supporting Documents/Additional Information:
- Completed application form
- Detailed CV
- Fee-paying form (Click here to download)
- Two letters of reference (one from a supervisor at the Master’s level)
- Proof of English proficiency
- Official transcripts for BSc and MSc degrees
- Photocopy of official certificates for BSc and MSc degrees
- Two recent passport-sized photographs
- Evidence of current and previous employments (if applicable).
- Submit both soft and hard copies of a short concept note (max. 3 pages outlining the justification, objectives, methodology and expected outcomes of your research idea.
- Submit both soft and hard copies of a letter of motivation (max. two pages) with the heading “WASCAL DRP - CCLU PhD” outlining the following:
- Why you want to study Climate Change and Land Use at the PhD level
- Your current occupation
- Why you are well-suited to study this programme
- How your admission into the PhD Climate Change and Land Use Programme will fit into your professional vision
- How your home country stands to benefit after your training
- You may also add other relevant information and/or experience you feel is necessary to support your application.
- Application deadline: June 30, 2021
- Send supporting documents in a single zip file
- Supporting documents in French must have an official English translation in addition
- Ineligible, incomplete or late applications will not be processed
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted by July, 2021 for an interview or to provide additional details.
Call for Applications for the Appointment of a Dean at the School of Public HealthRead More
Admission of Candidates to Undergraduate Degree Programmes for the 2021/2022 Academic YearRead More
Call for Applications for Appointments at the School of Veterinary MedicineRead More
Admission of Candidates to Higher Degree Programmes for the 2020/2021 Academic YearRead More
Call for Applications for Full Scholarship; PhD Programme in Climate Change and Land Use 2021 AdmissionsRead More
Call for Applications for Appointments at KNUST Obuasi CampusRead More
Call for Applications for Appointment as Project Accountant at RWESCKRead More
Call for Abstracts - 9th KNUST CoHS Biennial Scientific ConferenceRead More
Call for Applications for AppointmentsRead More
Call for Applications for Kingdom Books and Stationary Bursary for 2020/2021 Academic YearRead More