Call for Applications for Appointment as KTP Project Associate - Hydroponics
Main Location of Assignment: Tropical Growers Limited, P O Box CT1410 Cantonments, Accra, Ghana
Associate Location: Department of Mechanical Engineering, KNUST Campus, Kumasi.
Salary: Up to £1,379.29 (gross) per month depending on experience, and with up to £4000 additional support for professional and personal development for the duration of the project
Contract Type: Fixed Term (24 months)
Basis: Full Time
Release Date: 11th October, 2023
Closing Date: 31st October, 2023
Interview Date: 7th November, 2023
Start date: 01 December, 2023
This role is an exciting opportunity for an MSc graduate with a background in Engineering Design / Mathematical Modelling or Simulation techniques. Ideally the Associate will have some relevant industrial experience.
This African Agriculture Knowledge Transfer Partnership (AAKTP) project aims to develop a sustainable, efficient, carbon free and cost-effective digital platform and health monitoring system for vegetable cultivation using hydroponics. The data gathered will help in developing predictive models in terms of yield during a growing season. Similarly, from the temperature and humidity information, a Solar PV powered evaporative cooling system will be designed during the life of the project.
The Key Innovative Aspects of the Project Are:
- Real-time crop monitoring to ensure the optimal environment for the crops integrated with an Artificial Intelligence framework for decision making.
- Predictive modelling of crop yield based on IOT data collected through real-time monitoring.
- Design and development of a novel solar PV evaporative cooling system tailored to the greenhouse.
Successful KTP outcomes will enable Ghanaian farmers to increase produce yields and income, increase the variety and quality of food available and address food security issues.
Candidate Profile: MSc graduate with a background in Engineering Design / Mathematical Modelling or Simulation techniques. Ideally the Associate should have some relevant industrial experience and/or research experience related to electro-mechanical systems, solar PV systems and evaporative cooling systems.
Key Skills/ Experience Required Include:
- Engineering Design, particularly energy systems design
- Mathematical modelling skills
- CAD packages e.g. SolidWorks
- MATLAB and/or Python programming languages
- Development of user interfaces
- Modular design concepts
- Design of evaporative cooling systems
Some understanding of agriculture in Ghana, specifically the use of hydroponics would be a distinct advantage in developing appropriate solutions. Additionally, a willingness to work in rural areas with various stakeholders to develop optimised solutions.
The Associate should also have:
- Some project Management skills to ensure the AAKTP progresses in a timely and efficient manner, and that key performance indicators are achieved; however training and mentoring will be provided.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to be able to transfer knowledge to the company and work closely with supervisors, colleagues, and farmers to ensure project objectives are achieved.
- Capability to prepare accurate reports and financial expenditure justifications.
- An understanding of commercial imperatives that drive product development and willingness to develop their commercial skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English and Native)
- Work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders in a multidisciplinary project team.
- Strong organisational skills to take project ownership, co-ordinate work-streams and achieve agreed objectives.
- Work independently on own initiative as and when required. Credibility to ask questions and constructively challenge.
- Self-motivated with good negotiation skills.
Interested Persons can apply via: Here!
This is an African Agriculture Knowledge Transfer Partnership (AAKTP) funded by Innovate UK. It is essential you understand how KTP works and the vital role you will play if you secure this position. To learn more please click: (here!). Also check for more details: (here!)
The Company: Tropical Growers is a Private Limited company registered under Ghana Registrar General's Department. Its primary activity is growing hydroponic fruits and vegetables and building and commissioning hydroponic installations for Ghanaian farmers.
Find out more via: (here!)
AAKTP Team: You will work in a project team with Dr Richard Opoku, Dr Henry Nunoo Mensah and Dr (Mrs) Martina Baidoo at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST); Dr Tabbi Awotwe, Dr Muhammad Imran and Dr Umar Manzoor at Aston University, and the Senior Management Team at Tropical Growers Ltd with the support of the IUK-KTNs Knowledge Transfer Adviser.
Location: You will be based predominantly at Tropical Growers in Accra but will also have access to facilities at KNUST, and remote access to facilities at Aston University in the UK. Some travel to key clients may also be required, as well as travel to the United Kingdom for training purposes.
Hardcopy of your application should also be sent to the Sustainable Energy Service Unit at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, KNUST
For enquiries about this role please contact:
Dr. Richard Opoku,
Department of Mechanical Engineering, KNUST
2024 KNUST Food FestivalRead More
Professorial Inaugural Lecture by Professor Atinuke Olusola AdebanjiRead More
Call for Re-Applications for the Hulede Foundation KNUST Scholarship for 2023/2024 Academic YearRead More
Call for Fresh Applications for the Hulede Foundation KNUST Scholarship for 2023/2024 Academic YearRead More
Call for Applications for Education Fondazione Scholarship for the 2023/2024 Academic YearRead More
Call for Applications for Educational Pathways International (EPI) Scholarships for the 2023/2024 Academic YearRead More
Call for Applications For Standard Chartered Kenneth Dadzie Memorial/Standard Chartered Science Education Trust Funds Scholarship for the 2023/2024 Academic YearRead More
KNUST Welcomes All FreshersRead More
Call for Local Supply Chain Case StudiesRead More
Graduation Ceremonies for Ministry of Health Training Institutions - 2023Read More