The Vice Chancellor of Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) and a delegation from KNUST has paid a working visit to Obuasi Satellite Campus to inspect renovation works ahead of the official opening in September, 2019.
Briefing the management team of the University after the tour of the premises, Mr. Stephen Teku, the Municipal Works Engineer mentioned that the first phase of the renovation is almost 80% done with the remaining 20% set to be complete before ending of August, 2019. The facility which was donated to KNUST by AngloGold Ashanti through the Obuasi Municipal Assembly falls under the Mining Company’s ‘’Asserts Relinquishing Programme’’. Under the programme, old asserts of the mining company are being given out to potential stakeholders who could maximise them for the benefit of the of the community and the country.
The edifice is made up of the entire old administration block of AngloGold Ashanti, and will serve as; lecture rooms, offices, bungalows for visiting Professors, hostel facilities for students, study rooms, and a library.
Additionally, the mining company and the Municipal Assembly have agreed to bear the initial cost of renovation estimated at almost GH₵96,000 before the handover. KNUST on its part will take care of the soft furnishing.
Commenting on the project, Professor Kwasi Obiri-Danso, Vice Chancellor, expressed his excitement on the progress of the renovation and was hopeful the campus could begin its academic operations by September, 2019 with initial student’s population of about 700.
The Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) of Obuasi, Honourable Elijah Adansi-Bonah on his part, underscored the immense benefit the Campus could bring to the Obuasi Municipality. He mentioned that, apart from creating direct jobs for the citizens of the Obuasi and its environs, the presence of the campus could spur up business activities for food vendors, retail shop operators, hostel facility operators and many more. He has therefore, charged all stakeholders to embrace this noble idea give it the needed full support.
The Registrar of the Obuasi Campus, Mr. Benjamin Oduah Andoh intimated that, the Academic Board has so far given approval for the running of the following courses; BSc. Electrical/Electronic Engineering, BSc. Civil Engineering, BSc. Mechanical Engineering, BSc. Materials Engineering, BSc. Environmental |Science, BSc. Geological Engineering, BSc. Geomantic Engineering, and BSc. Business Administration (Logistics & Supply Chain Management). He was hopeful that, other market driven programmes will be added when existing facilities expand in the future.