Admission of Candidates to Research or Higher Degree Programmes for 2019/2020 Academic Year
KWAME NKRUMAH UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, KUMASI
SCHOOL OF GRADUATE STUDIES
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission to research and higher degree programmes: MSC/MPHIL/PHD.
GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Masters Programmes
At the time of application, applicants should possess a Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalent from a recognised Institution in the relevant field of study. Preference will be given to applicants with a FIRST CLASS OR SECOND-CLASS DIVISION.
- PhD Programmes
Candidates applying for Doctor of Philosophy degree must have an MPhil degree or its equivalent from a recognised Institution and shall submit evidence of adequate training and ability to undertake the proposed programme.
DURATION OF PROGRAMME
Unless otherwise stated,
- Masters Programmes (Full-Time) are of Two (2) Calendar Years and (Part-Time) Three (3) Calendar Years duration.
- PhD Programmes (Full-Time) are of Four (4) Calendar Years and (Part-Time) are of Five (5) Calendar Years duration.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Sale of E-Vouchers/Forms for admission shall commence on Wednesday, 24th April, 2019.
- Candidates must purchase an eVoucher by paying an application fee of Two Hundred and Forty Ghana Cedis (GH¢240.00) at the following banks: GCB, Consolidated Bank Ghana (CBG) or Ecobank.
- Upon payment of the application fee, candidates will receive an eVoucher containing an application number and PIN that will grant access to the online admissions portal.
- Candidates should then proceed to online admissions website (Here!) and begin the application process.
- Once the process has been completed, candidates MUST PRINT OUT 2 COPIES of the completed application form from the portal and submit them (by post) to the School of Graduate Studies together with all relevant documents (Photocopies of Certificates, Recommendation Letters, and [Transcript for those attending KNUST for the first time]) to the following address:
School of Graduate Studies
Deadline for the submission of application forms is Wednesday, 31st July, 2019.
Application forms submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
Only candidates who successfully gain admission will be notified subsequently.
NB: All International Applicants must apply online. International applicants who are admitted will be required to pay an application fee of USD 200.00 before registration.
COLLEGE OF ART AND BUILT ENVIRONMENT
Department of Planning
- MSc/MPhil Development Planning and Management (Accra and Kumasi Centres - Weekend Programme)
- MSc/MPhil Development Policy and Planning (Accra and Kumasi Centres - Weekend Programme)
- MSc/MPhil Development Studies (Accra and Kumasi Centres - Weekend Programme)
- MSc/MPhil Planning (Accra and Kumasi Centres - Weekend Programme)
- Successful applicants would be initially enrolled in the Master of Science Programme. After twelve (12) calendar months, students who pass all the required courses will be awarded a Master of Science degree. Those who obtain CWA of 70% or more at the end of the first year and demonstrate capacity for independent research may, on request progress as MPhil candidates for the second year. Such candidates would spend the academic year writing their theses and will be expected to complete the programme by the end of the second year.
- All the MSc/MPhil programmes are opened to Planners, Managers, Administrators and other professionals.
- A first degree with a minimum of Second-Class Division or its equivalent from recognised institutions in the following programmes:
Planning, Development Studies, Integrated Development Studies, Geography, Environmental Studies, Social Studies, Sociology, Land Economy, Agriculture, Renewable Natural Resources, Economics, Civil Engineering, Business and Public Administration or other relevant programmes.
- Applicants for the MSc /MPhil Planning must have obtained First Second-Class Undergraduate degree in Development Planning, Settlement Planning or any other related Planning degree from reputable institutions. Those whose degrees are not in Planning should not apply to the MSc/MPhil Planning programme.
- Applicants with post-graduation experience in industry or research may have an added advantage. All applicants must pass selection interviews before gaining admission.
- Students enrolled in all the programmes are required to pay WEEKEND fees approved by the University.
- MSc Transportation Planning (Accra and Kumasi Centres - Weekend Programme)
This 12-calendar month MSc. Transportation Planning programme, introduced in August 2018, is an inter-collegiate programme developed jointly by the Department of Planning (College of Art and Built Environment) and the Department of Civil Engineering (College of Engineering) with support from École Polytechnique Fédérale de Laussane (EPFL), Switzerland. The programme provides participants with advanced knowledge in transportation planning through a multidisciplinary approach.
- A minimum of Second-Class degree, or its equivalent, in Planning, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Geography, Architecture, Building Technology, Construction Management, Development Studies and any field of specialisation relevant to the programme from a recognised University.
- Candidates with B-Tech with at least 2 years working experience in the relevant disciplines may be admitted after passing an interview.
- Applicants whose working language is not English must show proficiency in both spoken and written English. Where necessary, arrangements will be made with the Department of Languages of the University to offer proficiency course in English prior to embarking on the programme.
- Relevant field experience will be an advantage.
- PhD Development Studies (Full Time - 4 Years)
- PhD Development Studies (Part Time - 5 Years)
- PhD Planning (Full Time - 4 Years)
- PhD Planning (Part Time - 5 Years)
- Applicants who did not write a thesis at the Master’s level need not apply to the above listed PhD programme.
- Applicants for PhD Development Studies must hold a good Master of Philosophy degree in related disciplines or a relevant Master’s degree from recognised universities. A good master’s degree in the following programmes is required for admission into the programme:
Planning, Development Studies, Integrated Development Studies, Geography, Environmental Studies, Social Studies, Sociology Land Economy, Agriculture, Renewable Natural Resources, Economics, Civil Engineering and any other relevant programmes
- Applicants for the PhD Planning programme must hold a good Master of Philosophy degree or a relevant Master’s degree in Planning from recognised universities. Those whose degrees are not in Planning should not apply to the PhD Planning programme.
- Applicants with post-graduation experience in industry and proven research backgrounds in publications in reputable journals have added advantage.
- Upon admission, all students shall undertake a year’s course work which they are expected to pass and obtained a CWA of 55 or above.
- Having passed all course work and with a CWA of 55 or above, all PhD students are required to take and pass a comprehensive examination administered by the Department.
- PhD Candidates shall attend weekly Research Seminars and meet certain benchmarks set by the Department.
- All applicants who are currently working or those actively seeking for employment MUST NOT APPLY INTO THE FULL TIME PROGRAMME. Such applicants MUST apply to the Part-Time programme.
All applicants for the PhD Programmes must pass through a competitive interview. Applicants are encouraged to discuss their research proposals with a potential supervisor prior to submitting their applications. Applicants must copy the postgraduate director of such correspondence using the email address: email@example.com. These research proposals must fall within the four (4) research clustered outlined below.
- Sustainable Transport and Future Urban Spaces Cluster: Urban mobility; Urbanisation; Land use/spatial planning; Transport infrastructure and services; Transport and road safety; Traffic segregation and urban development; Contestations and management of urban environments; Intermediate mode of transport; Transport affordability and access; Transport terminal development; Intelligent transport system; Public transport system.
- Social and Economic Resilience Cluster: Water and sanitation sustainability; Housing supply; Resilient cities through the smart social service delivery; Sustainable economic development; Quality of life index and analysis; Infrastructure planning; Health and education systems; Urban agriculture.
- Governance, Social Justice and Inequality Cluster: Politics and planning; Participatory urbanism to empower citizen; Fostering partnerships and empowering women; urban safety and security; Prevention of urban violence, urban conflict and peace-building; Land governance, Decentralisation; Poverty, Vulnerability and Social inclusion; Community participation in urban planning.
- Climate Transformation and Environmental Sustainability Cluster: Urban greenery; Natural resource management; Tourism studies; Reusing, recycling, regenerating materials, producing and using renewable energies; Regenerating the cultural heritage/landscape of cities; Waste management; Climate change adaptation; Natural disasters and climate change; Flood management.
Funding Opportunity Announcement for Staff PhD StudentsRead More
Call for Applications, Tullow Scholarships 2019/2020 Academic YearRead More
Call for PhD Position in Water Treatment TechnologiesRead More
Provisional Fees Schedule 2019/2020 Academic YearRead More
Brighter Investments Financial Support for Ghanaian Students in Science, Engineering and Business - 2019Read More
Appointment of Pharmacy SuperintendentRead More
2019 Admission into PhD, MPhil and MSc Programmes in EngineeringRead More
Admission of Candidates to MPhil Field Epidemiology & Applied Biostatistics for 2019/2020 Academic YearRead More
Admission of Candidates to Research or Higher Degree Programmes for 2019/2020 Academic Year (EIST)Read More
Admission of Candidates to Undergraduate Degree Programmes for the 2019/2020 Academic Year- Obuasi CampusRead More