Distance Learning Admissions
It is announced for the information of prospective Applicants and the general public that Application Forms for Admission to the following programmes of the University through the Distance Learning Mode for the 2013/2014 Academic Year are now on sale:
1. Postgraduate Degree Programmes: [2 Year Programmes]
- Commonwealth Executive Master of Business Administration (CEMBA)
- b) Commonwealth Executive Master of Public Administration (CEMPA)
- MSc. Industrial Mathematics
- MSc. Environmental Science
- MSc. Post Harvest Technology (Horticulture)
- MSc. Information Technology
- MSc. Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- MSc. Health Informatics
2. Undergraduate: [4 - Year Degree Programmes]
- BSc. Actuarial Science
- B.A. Sociology
- B.A Social Work
- BSc. Information Technology
3. Undergraduate: [Top-Up Degee Programmes, 5 Semesters]
- BSc. Actuarial Science
- BSc. Information Technology
- BA. Social Work
A) Entry Requirements For Postgraduate Programmes
- Commonwealth Executive Masters in Business Administration (CEMBA)
- Commonwealth Executive Masters in Public Administration (CEMPA)
The CEMBA/CEMPA programmes are designed by Commonwealth of Learning (COL) to help busy practicing professionals; managers and public officers gain a higher level of competency in their respective functions, and expand their perspective to encompass a more international outlook. The programmes are offered through distance education, a learner-oriented system allowing greater flexibility in learning while students continue with their regular work. At the heart of the programmes are the excellent learning materials licensed from some of the top universities across the Commonwealth.
The entry requirements for admission to the programmes are:
- A good First degree in any discipline, preferably Second class lower or better.
- Professional qualification (that is chartered level) eg. ACCA, CA, ICA, ICM, ICSA
- A minimum of 2 years experience in senior management/leadership position
- Satisfactory score in the CEMBA/CEMPA Admission Test. (The admission test consists of multiple choice questions designed to test applicants’ capabilities in the following areas: General knowledge; English Language; Quantitative Aptitude; and Reasoning/critical thinking).
2. MSc. Industrial Mathematics
The 2-year MSc. Industrial Mathematics programme is designed to equip mathematically oriented graduates with powerful and up to date knowledge and skills in modeling and computational techniques that can be directly applied to solve real life problems that occur in critical areas of industry such as health, environment, energy, manufacturing, financial, agricultural, security, communications, transportation, rural and urban management sectors.
The entry requirements for admission to the programme are:
First Degree in the Physical Sciences (Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Actuarial Science, Chemistry or Computer Science), Economics or Engineering with second class lower division or better.
3. MSc. Environmental Science
The Environmental Science programme is open to candidates with a good first degree in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, Geography, culture and Tourism, Natural Resource Management and Agriculture.
4. MSc. Post Harvest Technology (Horticulture)
The Post Harvest Technology programme is to train candidates in various technologies in the prevention of post harvest losses.
Application is open to candidates with a good first degree in Agriculture, Post Harvest Technology, Natural Resource Management and Biological Sciences.
5. MSc. Logistics and Supply Chain Management
The porgramme is designed to provide an opportunity for candidates to study contemporary theory and practice as well as pragmatic issues in the field of supply chain and logistics through extensive industrial fieldtrips which would constitute part of the programme. It is basically targeted at purchasing, supply chain and warehouse mangers as well as logistics managers in diverse fields of practice such as oil, aviation, police, mining and all involved in supply chain and logistics practices who would wish to upgrade themselves to senior management positions.
- First Degree in logistics and supply chain management with second class lower division or better.
- First degree in any discipline with appreciable experience in supply chain, logistics or transport management.
- Candidates with full membership or part-qualified with the chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply, UK or HND in Purchasing and Supply with a degree in different fields would also be considered.
6. MSc Health Informatics
The course is designed for a wide range of people including medical lab technicians, nurses, midwives, medical practitioners, paramedics, and IT managers who want to keep ahead in this rapidly advancing field of Health Informatics.
Candidates must have one of the following:
- First degree with at least Second Class lower division from a recognized university in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Technology and Communication, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Science, Environmental Science, Biological Science, Human Biology, Nursing, Paramedics, Midwifery, Pharmacy, Herbal medicine, Medical Laboratory biomathematics, biostatistics, Engineering, Mathematics or qualitative programmes;
- Applicants whose first degrees are not listed under (i) above but have worked in the medical field for at least three years may be considered.
- A postgraduate diploma in any of the programmes listed above.
All applicants must pass a written examination and an interview.
7. MSc. /MPHIL Information Technology
Candidates must have one of the following
A first degree with second class Lower from an accredited university or university colleges in any of the following areas:
Computer Science, Information Technology/Information Communication and Technology, Business Information Technology, Mathematics, Engineering, Social Science with a strong background in Mathematics
Students with weak computer science background (Social science students), especially in programming, may be required to take extra courses as may be deemed necessary by the Department.
All applicants must pass a written examination and an interview.
8. MSc Food Quality Management
The programme is designed for candidates with requisite qualifications who are already working in the food sector. The goal is to enable candidates to understand the scope of total quality management and ISO based quality systems. It is expected that the training shall build the skills of candidates in understanding consumers’ behaviour, maintaining quality and improving safety in food industries. The programme shall also provide the scientific, technological and managerial skills needed for graduates wishing to follow career prospects in food quality management in agribusinesses, research and public administration. Finally, students shall develop the skills required to develop problem-based and learning approaches together with critical thinking skills.
- Candidates for admission to MSc Food Quality Management course shall be required to have a BSc degree in Food Science and Technology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Nutrition Science, Biology, Agricultural Engineering or Chemical Engineering or any closely related science or technology BSc programme from a recognized university.
- Also a higher level professional qualification or an advanced degree and relevant work experience in food related establishment could be considered where applicants have not reached the standard entry requirements, though every applicant is assessed individually on their own merit through interview.
4-year Undergraduate Programmes
(HND, Diploma, Advanced Level, Mature and WASSCE/SSSCE Candidates)
- WASSCE/SSSCE holders who have credits in Three (3) core Subjects, English, Mathematics and Integrated Science, plus passes in Three (3) elective subjects relevant to the respective courses with an aggregate not exceeding 24.
- ADVANCED LEVEL holders with credits in at least five (5) subjects at the GCE ‘O’ Level (or its equivalent) including English and Mathematics, plus at least two passes in the relevant subjects at the Advanced Level.
- MATURE APPLICANTS who have attained the age of 25 years or above and have credits in five (5) GCE ‘O’ Level subjects including English Language and Mathematics, in addition to passing an Interview. OR credits in three (3) WASSCE/SSSCE core English, Integrated Science and Mathematics, three (3) credits in relevant elective subjects.
- FOREIGN APPLICANTS and all others who have any of the above qualifications or their equivalent from an accredited/recognized institution.
HND holders with relevant qualifications, plus three (3) years working experience; or five (5) GCE ‘O’ Level passes including English Language and Mathematics or an equivalent qualification.
Top Up Undegraduate Programmes
General Requirements for all Programmes
Applicants must have at least 5 (five) credits including English and Mathematics in GCE “O” Level and at least 6 (six) credits in SSSCE/WASSCE subjects in the relevant areas, including English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science with an aggregate not exceeding 24.
In addition to the above programme specific requirement are:
A. BSc. ACTUARIAL SCIENCE (Top Up)
- Hold an HND or equivalent Diploma Certificate in Actuarial Science, Statistics, Engineering, Mathematics, Physical Science or Accounting
- University graduates holding a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Physical Science or Statistics
B. BSC INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (Top UP)
- Hold an HND or equivalent Diploma Certificate in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Electronics, Data Processing, Information Systems/Sciences and any area related to any of the listed programmes from an accredited Institution can apply irrespective of age and work experience.
- A first degree in any Physical Sciences and Engineering programme. Candidates with ordinary pass would be required to pass an entrance examination and attend oral interview.
C. BA SOCIAL WORK (Top Up)
- Hold an HND or equivalent Diploma Certificate in the related field of study with 2 years working experience.
How To Apply
On-line application e-vouchers can be obtained at the following banks: Ecobank, HFC Bank, Merchant Bank and Fidelity Bank. Applicants should follow carefully the instructions on the voucher.
E-voucher may also be purchased by bankers’ draft payable to the Institute of Distance Learning at any of the following Centres:
- KUMASI- The Office of the Dean, Institute of Distance Learning (University Library), KNUST, Tel.03220-60013
- ACCRA- Catholic Institute of Business and Technology,(formerly, Social Advance Institute) Accra Contact Mr. Adu Brenya/Mathias Tel. 0244788070
- SUNYANI- University of Energy and Natural Resources. Contact: Mr. Clement Kuusoryir, Tel: 0277046948
- HO- Ho Polytechnic, Contact: Mr. Ben Quarshie Honyenuga,Tel. 0244515420
- TAKORADI- Takoradi Polytechnic, Contact: Mr. Emmanuel Opintan-Baah, Tel. 0244865578
- KOFORIDUA- Gratis Foundation; Contact Mr. Foster Ofori, Tel. 0244811805
- TAMALE- Tamale Polytechnic, Contact Mr. Abubakari Abdul-Razak, Tel. 0244772040, 071-93694
- BOLGATANGA- Bolgatanga Secondary School, Contact Mr. Zoogar Mukasa, Tel. 0208288666
- WA: Jihann Training College, Contact Mr. Dominic Wanaa, Tel. 0208816276
- CAPE COAST: Cape Coast Polytechnic, Contact Mr. K. A. Simpson, Tel. 0244610757
- TARKWA Contact Mr. Andrew Doku, , Tel. 0244129876
- OBUASI: Value Properties, Golf Course road; Contact Mr. C. K. Kuma, Tel. 0244312097 or Elizabeth Tel. 0244354916.
- TECHIMAN: Contact Mr. Joseph Toura Tel. 0205782024
COST OF APPLICATION FORM
- E-voucher or Scratch card for accessing application form online:
- CEMBA/CEMPA/MPHIL (including entrance examination) - GH¢180.00
- Undergraduate/top up programmes - GH¢120.00
The completed on line forms should be posted by EMS to reach THE DEAN, INSTITUTE OF DISTANCE LEARNING, KNUST-KUMASI, GHANA by 30th March 2013.
- Only results and/or documents provided by applicants at the time of submission of their applications shall be considered.
- Applicants must include in their application forms certified true copies of their certificates.
- All applicants are to visit admissions.knust.edu.gh and complete an online application using the e-voucher provided. A copy of the online application should be printed and posted to the Dean, IDL, KNUST, Kumasi.
- The date for the CEMBA/CEMPA entrance examination/admission test is:
SATURDAY, 13th April, 2013 AT 9.00AM. ALL APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO TAKE THE TEST AT THEIR SELECTED CENTRES.
FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT www.kvcit.org / www.knust.edu.gh OR CALL TEL: 03220-60013/60023
- Programmes would be mounted depending on the number of qualified applicants and only centres with the requisite number of qualified applicants would operate. (please contact IDL office for details).